Monday, January 3, 2011

No Impact Experiment Day 2: Trash

Today I was asked to look through a trash bag of stuff I created on Sunday and separate stuff into piles - one pile of stuff used up to 10 minutes and stuff used longer than 10 minutes. My bag:

Used longer than 10 minutes:
pair of shoes I bought at Goodwill

Used less than 10 minutes:
box from take out food
plastic wrap
paper coffee grind holder
candy wrapper

It was a simple exercise but very effective...especially when the pile for < 10 minutes was so much larger!!! I have a lot of rethinking to do about purchases and packaging. For example, I, along with hundreds of people in California, LOVE Trader Joes...but Trader Joes is notorious for selling packaged stuff - fruit, prepared meals, etc. Man, I LOVE all the convenience, but while standing in the checkout line today all I could see was the potential for filling a landfill - all those goodies piled on the way to the cashier crying out for me to pick them up and quickly, secretly slip them into the cart before my conscience had a chance to catch up. I think I need to reevaluate what I have available in my kitchen for storing food stuffs and purchase bins for things, like cereal, that I can buy in bulk.

No comments:

Post a Comment